Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Best of Fort Lauderdale and Miami, Christina style

My favorite new places, based on my recent visit...

Best Gelato: The Gelato Station - freakin' AWESOME gelato, right around the corner from Mark's pad, right across the street from the chinese laundromat where they do Mark's laundry for $.99 per pound. I had super good chocolate peanut butter gelato, that rivaled the mocha flavor I had in Florence.

Best subs: Publix (duh!) - Is there even a competition?

Best dive-y beach bar with a view: Fat Tuesday - I am usually super anti-chain establishment when I'm on vacation. But the great open balcony at Fat Tuesday won my heart. It was so great to sit on a stool, sip a drink, chat and look out over the beach.

Best dive-y breakfast: The Floridian - Great, historic breakfast place we went to in a neat section of Fort Lauderdale. I had a great omelet, although the pancakes the size of your head I saw coming out of the kitchen looked pretty tempting as well!

Best lunch on the beach: Margarita Cantina (yes Mark, that is the real name) - Great atmosphere! We sat on the shaded patio next to a steel drum player, had some amazing crab and artichoke dip and a great blackened mahi sandwich.

Best beach to hang out on day and night: Fort Lauderdale beach - As I said in my last post, this beach really convinced me that nice beaches could be found on the east coast of Florida, something I seriously doubted the entire time I lived there. Great sand, not too touristy, good crowd. Can't complain!

Best brunch with a hilarious menu: Rosie's - We went to Rosie's for brunch on Sunday and had a fabulous time. Their bloody mary's were spicy and perfect. My frittata (a brunch staple for me) was really good as well. However, we have to go back because the french toast looked amazing!

Best South Beach pedestrian mall: Lincoln Road - We hung out on Lincoln Road Saturday night. Despite the fact that we didn't sit down to dinner until 11:15pm (!), the place was packed! Stores that were open had shoppers coming in and out, restaurants had waiting lists and there were lots of people out walking around, even with their kids and dogs. I would like to go back during the day, as it seemed like a great place to shop and hang out.

Best non-sushi food at a sushi restaurant: chicken teriyaki at Sushi Siam - sushi makes me go *ack* so I was relieved to get a plate heaped full of teriyaki chicken and a nice serving of vegetables and rice. If I went back, I'd probably try the thai as well.

Best pedis (aka "I just got married last week, so I guess he's my, eww, husband? Oh, and I'm a runner"): Venetian Nails - Despite the drama queen sitting next to me, Mark and I both got lovely pedicures at this place. They did a great job with my polish and didn't cut my toe nails too short, both important criteria to me for a good pedi. The customer next to me was just too much, but she made for some fun banter back and forth between Mark and me. And the prices couldn't be beat - $25 for a pedi? HELLO!

Best store for fabulous pink paisley bathing suits: Express at the Aventura Mall - I had to throw this in there because even the sales associates were shocked that anyone bought the swim trunks Mark did. But he will be pulling them off fabulously on his cruise!

No comments: