Wednesday, March 3, 2010

List 2 - Things I Don't Understand

1. Why people who are not disabled use the handicapped turnstile on the Metro. While it is almost twice as wide as the normal turnstiles, it takes anywhere from 15-30 seconds longer to get through, especially if you're right behind another person or there's someone coming the other way. This is something I wonder every day when I see walking commuters, without any large luggage or bags or strollers or anything other than a small work bag, lining up at this turnstile. Perhaps this is one of life's grand unanswered questions.

2. Looting. Reports coming from Chile are that people are not only looting essentials, but also things like flat screen plasma televisions. Really? I can't imagine what kind of person would do that. How is that in anyway beneficial to you and your fellow countrymen when your home and city have been destroyed by an earthquake and you're stealing a TV. This may also be one of life's unanswerable questions.

3. Littering. Every day, I see people read the little freebie daily newspaper on the Metro and drop it on the floor or leave it on their seat. Why couldn't they carry it off the train and put it in one of the many trash or recycling bins in the station? Laziness I suppose, which may be the answer to number one as well (but probably not number two).

4. Complaining. Why do people complain? Are they looking for sympathy? Are they looking to just get something off their chest? Are they just a negative person, the glass half empty type? I especially don't understand people who complain about things that are totally within their control to change.

5. Perhaps the biggest mystery: why does coffee taste so much better when you buy it from Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts/McDonald's/7-11/a random vendor on the street than when you make it for yourself at home?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

all things that I myself do not understand...although I am guilty of complaining - not a lot but I do it. I think it's important to get it (whatever it is) out and then move on.

Anonymous said...

In case of number 5: you either have he wrong coffee machine or simply don't know how to do it
;-)

Erin Conrad said...

I totally with you on the coffee thing. See, I think that salad tastes better when made by anyone but myself. Even if all you do is put lettuce in a bowl. So weird!