Friday, September 11, 2009

Five for Friday - Special Edition

It only seems fitting that my return to doing "Five for Friday" should come on a day that requires a special edition. A day that still gives me a knot in my stomach and a lump in my throat. A day that, while everything around you is business as usual, you know everyone is thinking about the same thing.

September 11, 2001. A day that will live in infamy (thanks FDR). A day that seems like so long ago, yet also feels like yesterday. This morning, I found myself standing in the hallway with coworkers, retelling our 9/11 stories. I think this has happened every year since, even hearing the same stories over again from the same groups of people. There's something about telling those stories that bring great comfort, I think, and is kind of like one huge oral history project.

I'll leave you with a great quote from then-President Bush that kind of sums everything up pretty well:

"Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children." - President George W. Bush, November 11, 2001

No comments: