Tuesday, September 9, 2008

St. Nicholas Abbey, Barbados


St.Nicholas Abbey, located in the parish of St.Peter, was built in 1660 and is one of only three genuine Jacobean mansions in the Western Hemisphere. This beautiful home, and surrounding buildings, were built, apparently, only 30 years after Barbados was discovered and is one of the only standing structures from the 1600's in the world (I read that on the Internet, so who knows if it's true!). Regardless, it was still a beautiful place. I wish I had a picture of it from the front, but it started raining right at the end of our tour. So I stole the picture above from Google :)


metal rings used to make barrels to store the rum made on sight
I just had to take the picture below because it reminded me so much...
... of this shot I took in Villefranche!


No comments: