Monday, July 28, 2008

Low key weekends are the best!

After having parents in town the last three weekends (not that we don't love you!), Brad and I finally had a low key weekend all to ourselves. Unfortunately, I have no pictures, so you'll just have to read!

Friday evening Brad and I headed out for our special surprise date night. Anyone who knows me, knows that I have a very hard time keeping my mouth shut, especially when I'm excited about a surprise. I am proud to say that I managed to keep this surprise from Brad until two hours before the show! We drove out to Wolftrap, an outdoor amphitheater that has plays, concerts, and everything else - think of it as an outdoor Kennedy Center. I packed a great little picnic of various kinds of cheese (Brad's favorite) and some anti-pasti meats, a baguette, yummy chocolate dessert cups filled with fruit and, the best thing about Wolftrap lawn seats, a bottle of wine! We listened to the National Symphony Orchestra play a program of romantic classical music and enjoyed the relatively cool, low humidity evening cuddled on our blanket under the stars. It was really quite enjoyable!

Saturday morning, instead of heading to the gym, we decided to go to a big park by our house (ok, actually not even close to our house... more like 40 minutes away!) and go for a nature hike. All five miles of the nature hike. I pretty much thought I was going to die! But we made it through and, in the end, it was a lot more fun than just going to the gym on a beautiful day! The rest of Saturday was relatively low key. We had spaghetti and meatballs for dinner (thanks for making the meatballs while you were here Dad!) and then went to see the Batman movie. Brad LOVED it, I thought it was pretty good. Obviously, though, now Brad has to go see "Momma Mia" with me next weekend :)

Sunday we got up and treated ourselves to an IHOP breakfast. It's honestly the first time I've had pancakes in literally six months, so it was a nice little treat. Plus, they were a side item with my veggie omelet, so clearly they didn't count! In the afternoon we ran errands (including our 50 millionth trip to Ritz camera for prints, a way-too-long experience in the anxiety inducing horrible place that is Babies R Us and some crazy grocery shopping) and then took a mega hardcore nap. We were supposed to do laundry in the evening (unfortunately, our usual Sunday night routine), but we decided that we were in a Sunday night rut and needed to do something fun. So, we went out for a yummy dinner and then came home and discussed health insurance options, since we have to make a decision soon with my new job and insurance. I'm not sure how health insurance is more fun than laundry, but at least it's another check off our to-do list. I did get to read the Sunday Washington Post before I went to bed, so I guess the evening capped off ok.

Well, it's lunch time now, so I guess I'll wrap up this long boring post!

No comments: